How to Measure Your Ring Size at Home
When shopping for a ring, you’ll be faced with a sizing system you might not yet be familiar with. Most people don’t know their ring size, which can make the process all the more complicated.
If you’re shopping in a jewellery store, they will usually measure your fingers for free. But if you’re shopping online or shopping for someone else, this isn’t always an option. Thankfully, there are a few methods you can try at home to get an accurate idea of your ring size.
If you’re preparing to hint to a partner that you’d like them to pop the question, then you can make things easier for them by making sure you have a ring they can measure that will give them an accurate ring size. But if you’re not even sure what size you need, read on to learn the different ways to measure your ring size at home.
How to Measure Your Ring Size with String
The first method uses something as simple as a piece of string or even dental floss to measure your ring size.
- Wrap a piece of string, floss, or similar around the base of your finger.
- Mark the point where the string overlaps with a pen.
- Flatten out the string alongside a ruler or measuring tep and mark the length in millimetres.
- Use a ring chart to get an accurate ring size.
When using this method, make sure you don’t pull the string too tight. You’ll still need to be able to get the ring over your knuckle.
Measuring Ring Size with a Ring Size Chart
To use this method, you need to already have a ring that fits you well. You’ll also need access to a printer.
- Find an online ring size chart and print it out at 100% scale. This step is very important. If you change the magnification, this will make the chart completely inaccurate. A good size chart should include a small reference measure at the side so you can check that it is accurate.
- Place your ring on the chart and find the one that matches the inside circumference of your ring.
- This is your ring size for that finger. Remember that you’ll have a different ring size for each finger, so make sure you know which finger you are measuring for.
Use a Ring Sizer
The easiest and most accurate way to measure your ring size at home is with a ring measuring tool. This is an inexpensive loop of plastic, or a set of plastic rings, that will allow you to get an accurate ring size.
Another excellent feature of this method is that you’ll be able to slip the ring measuring tool on and off, so you can check that the size is a good fit, while also making sure that it can fit over your knuckle.
How should a ring fit?
When choosing the fit for your ring, you want to make sure that it fits comfortably without digging into the skin too much. It should be snug so that it won’t fall off, but it shouldn’t be so loose that it can slide over your knuckle. It can take some trial and error to find the exact ring size that you need.
Ring Size Guide
In the UK, we use a letter system for ring sizing. In the US and Europe, there is a number system for sizing, but these are different.
You can measure either the inside circumference or the inside diameter of a ring. The UK sizing system runs from an A to a Z++. The EU system runs from a 44 to a 68, and this runs in line with the inside circumference measurement. The UK sizing system runs from a 3 to a 12.
Ring Sizing Advice
If you are measuring for a ring, consider the following points to ensure you get a better fit:
- Don’t forget the knuckle. If you know you have larger knuckles, you can achieve a more comfortable fit by going up a half size. This will make it easier to get the ring over your knuckle.
- Try measuring at different times. Your hands and fingers may expand and contract throughout the day. In warmer weather, your fingers may be a little bigger. Try measuring multiple times to make sure you get an accurate size.
- Measure both hands. It’s not uncommon for one hand to be larger than another, so make sure you measure both hands to get a more accurate measure.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you measure someone’s finger without them knowing?
There are a few ways to get a person’s ring size without them knowing. This is common if you are buying a ring as a gift or an engagement ring.
- Borrow and measure a ring that you know they wear often. You can use any of the methods listed above to get an accurate measure for their ring. The important thing is that you make sure it’s a ring they wear on the right finger, and that it’s a comfortable fit.
- Ask their friends and family. A friend or family member may have already asked for their ring size for a gift, so you can skip measuring.
- Pick a larger size. Making a ring smaller is easier than making a ring larger. So if you aren’t sure and need to make a decision, simply choose a larger size and then you can deal with the sizing later. Check before you purchase that the ring will be suitable for resizing.
How do you know if a ring fits correctly?
A well-fitted rig should fit over the knuckle with a little resistance and then sit on the fleshiest part of the finger. If you need to push the ring to the very top to make it fit comfortably, this is too small. If the ring leaves a mark or causes the fingers to swell, this is also too tight. And if a ring slides around and can slip over the knuckle, this is too large.